Moving business Premises

Article posted

29th Sep 2022

Read time

8-16 min read


Mollie Pinnington

Looking to pay less on your energy bills?

Get a free quote today

When moving business premises, whether you are moving to an existing premise or a new build premise, the last thing you want is your energy connection stopping you from your day-to-day operations.

Although energy supply might be one of those things that get overlooked in business planning, it is better to ensure everything is up and running before your move to save you time, money, and hassle.


Moving to an existing premise?

When moving into a premise that has already had a previous tenant, likely, there will already be a meter installed with gas and electricity both connected. Make sure this is the case by asking if the building is fully connected before you move in. You will be able to find this out from either the previous tenant or the landlord.

This makes it easier as you could either switch your current contract to the new site or switch to a new contract for the new site.


Deemed rates

When moving into a property where you have not sorted out a new contract you will be put straight onto what is known as deemed rates or out-of-contract rates. these are usually amongst the supplier’s highest energy prices and will leave you vulnerable to fluctuations in the energy market.

To avoid this, you want to ensure that you have organized your energy contracts before your move.

Sticking with the same supplier

If you decide to keep your current contract when moving business premises, you should let your current supplier know as much in advance as you can. this will give them the time they need to arrange the transfer of your contract.

On the day of moving out of your old premise, you should give your supplier a final meter reading to ensure you only pay for the energy you have used.

When sticking with your old energy supplier they will be able to figure out from your details whether they already manage the energy supply at your new location. In this case, your supplier will be able to tell you whether your current pricing arrangements can be carried over to the new location.

However if your supplier does not manage the energy supply at your new property, then they will have to give a new contract based on the gas and electricity needed at your new location.

New supplier

If you are going to switch your energy contracts to a new supplier before you move, is better to have this set up ready for your move. If you are switching suppliers, you will still need to send your current suppliers a final bill at your current energy contract to ensure you only pay for the energy you have used.

If you need a new energy deal for your new premises, we can help compare prices and suppliers to ensure you get the right deal for you before you move. If it is possible you want to try to get this contract as early as possible to avoid deemed or out-of-contract rates, as we mentioned earlier.

Get in touch with us today to find out how we can help.


Moving to a new build premise?

If you’re moving into a newly built building it is likely that the building has not yet been connected and may need gas and electricity meters installed. In this case, you want to try and get this done as early as possible as this can usually take some work, which would be the last thing you want to interrupt daily working operations.

New gas connections

When you need a new gas meter, the first people you should contact should be your distribution network operator(DNO), find yours here. They will be able to tell you how much work needs to be done, for example, whether you will need new gas pipes for the meters to be installed.

Before getting a new gas meter you need to know which meter would be best based on your energy usage. Look at the list of gas and electricity below to help you decide what type of meter would suit you best.

The gas services that can be provided will also be determined by your gas usage. This can be worked out by determining what your maximum gas usage for all your equipment and running your building would be.

Connect a new electricity supply

When moving to your new commercial property as well as the gas you are most likely going to need electricity set up as well.

Firstly, to do this you will need to contact the network operator (DNO) for your area to check whether any electricity has already been set up for your property if you are not sure.

The DNO are also responsible for doing this work so they will quote you based on your requirements when you get in touch with them. Once you have spoken to the DNO they will also be able to give you an MPAN number which you will need before you can get a quote for your electricity.

New electricity and gas supplier

Starting up your business with everything there is to do, you probably don't want to be worrying about paying high rates for electricity and gas when you move into your new premises. The easiest way to go about this would be to contact an energy broker or consultant before moving into your premises and let them do all the hard work.

If you get in touch with us, we can get you an electricity and gas quote for your new business premises before you have even moved in. This ensures that you have one less thing to worry about during the moving process.


Types of gas and electricity meters

When getting your energy set up in a new property it is important to make sure that you have the correct energy meter for your business type. See the different meters and which would suit your business type the best below:

Single rate meters

A single rate meter means that you always pay the same rate for your energy, all day. Most businesses use this type of meter especially if you have a 9-5 working day. If you already have a meter, you can tell whether this is a single rate meter or not as your supply number will begin with 03.

Two rate meters

Two rate meters have two different prices depending on the time of day. The rates will be set by your supplier. If you use a lot of energy overnight, you could get a cheaper overnight rate than the day rate. These meters are usually economy 7 meters and economy 10 meters. Based on how much energy your business uses you could have a 7 or 10-hour off-peak window. This will suit your business if you use more than 50% of your energy at night.

Half-hourly meters

Half-hourly meters take meter readings of your energy usage every 30 minutes and send your usage information directly to your supplier. These types of meters are best if you have a bigger consumption usually over 100 kWh. A half-hourly meter gives your energy supplier a clearer picture of your usage to ensure that you are billed accurately for your consumption. you can tell whether a half-hourly meter has been settled as your supply number will begin with 00.

Three phase meters

If your business is more energy-intensive and has a three-phase supply, then one of these meters might suit your business more. A three-phase system reduces the chances of power loss and maximizes efficiency as a constant electric load will be produced.

Smart meters

By now your business will most likely have a smart meter, however, you could be using this to increase efficiency and save money within your business. Like a half-hourly meter smart meters share your energy usage with your supplier. This means you no longer need meter readings, and your energy bills will be more accurate. A smart meter comes with a screen where you can view how much energy your using, which will allow you to become more energy efficient.


FAQs and advice for moving business premises

I'm already a customer, what do I need to do before moving?

If you got your previous energy contract through us and are now moving premises, get in touch with your account manager today. We can ensure that all your energy bills are taken care of so you can focus on getting your business set up.

How do I find out who supplies energy to my new premises?

If your energy connections are already set up, you could speak to the previous tenant to ask who the energy supplier is, or you can contact the DNO to find out this information.

How do I know who is responsible for my energy bills?

If the previous tenant managed the energy bills themselves it might be up to you to do the same, however, if you are renting your property then speak to your landlord as they might manage the energy bills themselves and just add them to your monthly bills.


If you’re going to be moving businesses soon and are worried about getting your energy set up in your new premises, then get in touch today. Our team of expert account managers will be able to ensure that everything is set up correctly so you can focus on relocating your business.

If you're looking to save money on your energy bills then why not get in touch today? The relationships Resolve Energy has developed with over 24 of the UK’s biggest business energy suppliers allows our energy experts to source the best business energy rates available for your company right when you need them. Request a free quote today and start saving money on your energy.

Looking to pay less on your energy bills?

Get a free quote today